Tuesday, June 28, 2005

escape

I suppose our exit went rather smoothly, considering. When I am grounded for too long and that fear overtakes me--fear of my monstrous former self--sometimes I ignore the real danger. The life of a citizen has a seductive quality I always underestimate. This too, is part of who I am. And although I am distracted by this split, the ones looking for us never will be.

But when I heard the car approach I was ready. I awoke V., and all she said was, "What have you done with Oscar?" I told her I let him go.

For a second I was afraid she wouldn't come with me without the cat, then we climbed out the kitchen window and I waited beside the road, cursing my leg while she walked the rest of the way to town through the fields for a car. Now we are in a cramped city hotel room, tiny faded flowers on the cheap bedspreads and the stale smell of old cigarettes on clinging to the khaki curtains. The sound of sirens outside is amost soothing. V. watches old black and white movies on television while I examine the exits and wait for an associate to bring a doctor to look at my leg.

I feel calm. Strong. In control. Decisions made smoothly. What was happening to me back there?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that you're getting better. Will be in touch. -L.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even speak your language , but I'm telling you KEEP PUNCHING!

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judith, keep the faith!!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Maya. I look forward to seeing you and our special friend quite soon. I believe he's overdue for a 'check up,' isn't he?
- Dr. Nash

6:58 PM  
Blogger Dr. Nash said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am waiting for you in the mist of the 9th. time warp and will be there for 72 seconds.................your arrival is greatly welcomed!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep posting! I'm starting to look forward to these messages...

--- piratequeen

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Judith,
I couldn't find your Friendster profile, are you sure its still up there? It could just be me, I have found some really weird links lately - have you been to veganwise.com? I tend to go there to fight the carnivore in me.....

looking fwd to your next post
wudjna

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am waiting for you in the mist of the 9th. time warp and will be there for 72 seconds.................your arrival is greatly welcomed!

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??

7:44 PM  
Anonymous jb said...

it´s real?, what´s real?

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JEJEJE Keep on rocking in the free world!!! No Sword, no world... They are getting shortsighted, right?

6:36 PM  
Anonymous "the knight" said...

last post was a long time ago...
Is enyone alive?

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

viva la CHE GUEVERA! At this point revolution may just be the only sane answer! I am for hire for just such an endevour. Will work for food

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home